Westcott Ice Light – to buy or not to buy, t’is the question!
£400.00 (well, at £399.00 you do get a pound coin for your coffee at Mc Donalds)
Features at a glance
- Portable handheld daylight light-source
- Fully dimmable, 1,160 lumen LED rated 50,000+ hours
- 5500K – 5400K daylight balance
- AC/DC power operation with built-in Lithium Ion battery and UK mains lead
- Frosted diffusion front with a wide 72.6-degree beam angle
- Dual accessory attachments at both ends
- One year UK warranty
- Item Diameter: 1.75″ (4.4 cm)
- Item Length: 20.25″ (52.07 cm)
- Item Weight: 1.3 lbs. (0.58 kg)
- Lamp Type: LED Array
- Equivalent Watts: 150 (compared with quartz halogen)
- LED Hours: 50,000+
- Battery Life: 60 minutes at full power
- Colour Temperature: 5200~5400K
- Power Draw: 1.5w – 15w
- Dimmable Range: 1.5w – 15w
- Power Supply Input: 100-240v 50/60hz Lithium Ion 7.4v
- Battery Charge Time: 2.5 hours
- Beam Angle: 72.6 degrees
- Mount Handheld: with 1/4-20″ thread (both ends)
- Flicker free: Yes
So its £400 for a glorified light sabre?? We have fond memories of playing Luke and Darth Vader as children, but to have a real glowing light sabre?! Can £400 really be justified?
Whilst sat here in the studio, our team were surfing the net to see the reviews about this piece of kit, and there seems to be nothing but positive feedback on it. Can this be right?? Has Jerry Ghionis really nailed it with this piece of lighting? Well a wise man once said… “he who controls the light, controls all creativity!”, maybe this is finally a more reliable means of lighting a subject rather than using flashes and strobes. Are led continuous lights the future? we’re yet to see what it all holds in store, but the results todate are looking pretty good!.
We’ve come to the conclusion that we’ll definitely be investing in this piece of kit, in time for the imminent wedding season of 2014.